Site logo

NUCLEAR COURSES

Modular courses and discussions on Nuclear Power.

Our web Courses discuss important subjects in 5-10 min. bite size modules. Galleries add detail and clarity. References provide depth. DISQUS for your feedback.

COURSE 1.
NUCLEAR POWER: ESCAPING THE PATH TO FAILURE

INTRODUCTION
This 6 module web course shows how nuclear power can make most countries energy self-sufficient for millennia, with assured supplies of nuclear fuels. This can only happen by the use of the closed nuclear fuel cycle. We need a dramatic shift in current government policies that will otherwise lead to a collapse of nuclear power this century. Coal is used as reference target to be supplanted by 2050.

The full text of this course on
Nuclear Fuel Cycles can be downloaded from the Nuclear Library, Overviews, as a pdf.

MODULE 1: THE LIMIT ON U-235 FISSILE FUEL
Why is there a limit?
Only 0.7% of Natural Uranium is Fissile. Base Load reactors burn 1 tonne/year of fissile isotopes. Plutonium-239 can be bred from the other 99.3% of Uranium, but this is mostly lost without recycling. Coal will soon peak and decline but not fast enough for the IPCC.


MODULE II: IAEA WORLD RESOURCES OF URANIUM & THORIUM
THE IAEA tells us how much Uranium is known or expected around the world. Thorium is another fuel source to be transmuted into burnable U-233 for Thorium reactors. The IAEA analysis sets a reasonable limit on what we can use this century.

MODULE III. THE PRESENT PATH TO FAILURE
This is the central point of the whole course.
On present plans, anything more than 1600 reactors built by 2050 will use up all the IAEA known or suspected U235 before 2100. This is easily demonstrated.

MODULE IV. THE ENDLESS URANIUM SUPPLY FALLACY
The World Nuclear Association trade body contradicts the IAEA and says we will never run out of Uranium and never have a problem.

MODULE V. THE FOUR LEADING CLOSED CYCLE REACTORS
There are 3 Fast Reactors in line for deployment after 2030 - 2 liquid Sodium cooled Uranium-Plutonium reactors and early Fusion machines. The fourth is the Thorium Molten Salt Breeder which is highly desirable but in need of considerable development.

MODULE VI. POLITICAL OBSTACLES TO NUCLEAR ENERGY
US and EU Politicians are the main obstacles to nuclear development. They have managed little more than an about face in 20 years.

This module has a collected set of web links for all references.

WHAT COURSES WOULD YOU LIKE ON NUCLEAR ENERGY?
HOW ABOUT …

A NEW NUCLEAR ENERGY INDUSTRY

THE WORLD'S SAFEST REACTORS

USING NUCLEAR WASTES

WE COULD PUBLISH YOUR COURSES AT EfN.
intro:
CAN NUCLEAR TAKE DOWN COAL?
Didcot-down
CUTTING COAL TO MEET IPCC GOALS IS TOUGH!
Mod 1:
THE U-235 CHAIN REACTION
U235fission
U-235 IS THE ONLY NATURAL URANIUM FISSILE FUEL.
Mod 2:
WORLD NUCLEAR RESOURCES
Ycake
ANTI-NUCLEAR AUSTRALIA PRODUCES 30% OF WORLD URANIUM.
Mod 4:
WITH ENDLESS URANIUM?
NucFailSq
WNA PREDICTIONS OF POSSIBLE OPEN CYCLE NUCLEAR GROWTH.
Mod 5:
FAST REACTORS & THORIUM BREEDERS
GE-Hitachi
GE-HITACHI S-PRISM SMALL SODIUM COOLED REACTOR. START UK FLEET ON Pu STOCKPILE?
MOD 6:CHINA SCOOPS THE POOL ON THORIUM & FUSION
Th-recycle
.CHINESE FUSION DEVELOPMENT SYSTEMS (FDS) TO BYPASS ITER